Sunday, July 29, 2012

Sunday arvo

One of the first thing you learn when in Australia is that the weekend is highly appreciated. Unlike people in Croatia, Aussies tend to use every single minute of their weekend for fun, seeing their friends, eating out or going on a trip.

Since I woke up quite late, I missed the breakfast, but I joined H and G for lunch. Lunch meaning beer and pizza. We went to a place called The Flying Scotsman in Mount Lawley, which is a pretty cosy place, with occasional DJs playing and quite a decent offer of snacks and drinks.

It's big and covered in wood, so it gives out a friendly and outdoorsy atmosphere, and there are tables filled up outside even though it's winter time. We met up with R, G's cousin, who's sixty and riding his bike around, wearing his festival bracelets and a red wool scarf with pride. He's the open type that starts a conversation with a joke about himself, and we hit it off straight away.

We talked about everything from real estate and book stores to travelling around India and children's books. This was probably the first time that I had the feeling that I was actually in Australia. I could connect to him on so many levels, but at the same time I was aware of the fast that I was so far away and that no one really knew anything about me. It was a weird combination of satisfaction and helplessness.

Luckily, Aussies know how to hit it off. Sundays at the Scotsman offer a pizza and a beer for ten bucks, so the place was crowded and (I have to use this word eventually) merry. Even though the Island guys (as the locals dub people from Polynesia) are quite hard core when it comes to their security positions, it's still a rather nice place to stop for a couple of rounds and a snack.

Pizzas and pints at The Flying Scotsman

The rules here are a bit weird (but they still remind me of rules in, let's say, Slovenia), so you can't sit at the table and smoke, but you can't stand up and drink your beer either. That didn't stop the smokers from standing right next to the table and keeping the conversation going. That's rules for you.

We were going to watch see the new Batman movie, since everyone's quite excited about it here, but we ended up going to R's daughter's place instead. She served curry and gin and tonic, which amazingly got together pretty well (probably because of the quinine). I can't believe I had some of that too, especially after the four little pizzas that we shared, but I have to admit it was a really tasteful snack.

Living in a cute, nicely decorated house with her son, and eating dinner with her father, I couldn't help but notice the relaxed atmosphere that was present all throughout the evening. So many topics were covered that I can't even recollect any of them, but there were so many mentions of childhood memories, vacations they took together, trips to India and 90s bands.

The music playing in the background was always subtle, but never too boring to listen too. Every once in a while there would be someone who's start swinging from side to side to the rhythm of the song that was playing. At the times when the music was secondary, there was so much laughter that no one could actually hear what was being said.

I was also complimented on my English skills, which - coming from native Australians - sounds really good. I always figured that if one can joke in a foreign language, that shows that one is fluent in it. The guys seem to have proved me right, because there were cracks of laughter every now and then.

H and G at The Flying Scotsman

All in all, after two round of tea and a round of raspberry cupcakes, some Metallica in the car and a glass of water, here I am, in my bed, ready for my first day at work tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...