Saturday, May 4, 2013

Show in the crazy

It's about to begin.

The season.

It's that crazy time of the year in the organisation, which I partially got to experience last year when I started.

The white-board calendar is packed. You can't fit a full stop in there. I've got three trips coming up before the end of the month, and I'm not even as busy as others are.

Last call...

But that's just the way it goes.

Instead of people walking past your office, you hear a whoosh. Casual how-was-your-weekend chat is reduced to a quick grin, not even long enough to hold as we pass each other in the hallway.

The printers are bustling, the phones are ringing, all the meeting rooms are occupied. You see heads sticking out of cubicles, and you scan them, hoping that at least some of the people you need to talk to are among them.

As the day passes, it doesn't get any quieter and calmer. The clock ticking only makes it livelier – and crazier. I almost-run into someone at least five times a day. Sometimes I feel like making tid-tid-tid noises while walking around the office. I don't know exactly how stealthy the people in my office are (and why), but it definitely is food for thought.

Yesterday was spiced up by a couple of drink after work. A couple of major things have already been finalised, and everyone very well deserved it.

It's nice to chat to people about something other than work – although that happens rarely. People are so involved that no one can actually let it go. Don't get me wrong – it'll be funny stories, crazy situations, wild trips and similar – but it'll still be about work.

Being that I basically couldn't find the time to take a day off (as I planned), it was a nice break from the reality, especially after we went to a BYO Vietnamese restaurant (BYOs are restaurants where you Bring Your Own drinks), laughed about embarrassing situations, talked about future plans, discussed thing you don't discuss at the dinner table, went through my backpack and flashed half of the restaurant with my boxers etc.

All-daily stuff. Nothing unusual. Kahem.

So yeah, today is Saturday – and the only day of my weekend. I'm flying out again tomorrow, and to a crazy one. A big project, a crazy company, an intense situation, wild environment.

As soon as I finalised all the preparations and made my peace with it, I got a couple of good lucks from people, including the boss, some managers etc.

If you pull this one off well, you're going all the way up. Wear big boots [followed by a growing-taller gesture].

I guess we'll see what happens.

2 comments:

  1. woooow, kakva ludnica :)
    Ipak, moram priznati da mi i dalje tvoj posao deluje ludački zanimljivo i dinamično...Posebno iz ugla ovom mog nemrdanjanepomeranjadosadeukočenosti bla bla ovde :)
    Dakle, wear big boots i, kako su to govorili naši roditelji, pazi kad prelaziš ulicu ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daleko od toga da nije zanimljiv - samo što vrijeme ide prebrzo da bi se u njemu i guštalo...

      Bit će OK, hvala...

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...