Thursday, January 13, 2011

The New, Happy 2011

I still can't gripe the fact that another one has creeped up on us. Twenty-eleven, with all its surprises and expectancies. Since I'm lazing off in Austria, I still haven’t been forced into paperwork that much, so I'm not used to writing the number yet.


I don't see it that often either. Only when I went through some blogs now did I notice the horrid number above the posts. Should I be terrified it by it or just enjoy the bliss of knowing that 2010 is finally over? Nine was horrible, ten wasn't that much better and I simply don't know what to expect from it.


Aside the fact that it's basically just a number on a piece of paper, people (sometimes including me) tend to make a big deal out of it. In a way it reminds me of what I read when I was preparing an exam on Americas' Indians and how they knowingly divided the years in periods, in order to finish a certain circle and be able to start a new one ― fresh and optimistic.


Why can’t we have our own personal calendars, where we write our own personal tasks, plans and hopes? Why does it all have to be predetermined? Why do we have to align to someone else’s calendar?


New Year’s resolutions are so unproductive anyway. People just make a big fuss out of them, struggle for a couple of weeks and decide they’re going to try anew at the next year beginning anyway. And even if they do manage to work it out, they’ll just swap it for another resolution in a bit more than three hundred days.


There should be decade’s resolutions. Try to work that out!


Most of the people who know me won't even bother. You just have to perk up is what most of them are likely to say. When you're pessimistic (or at the very least realistic), people you're surrounded by usually won't give you much credit when talking about some stuff that leans more to the serious side. It's just your pessimism talking...


I really need a good year. Nothing selfish indeed and not much to do with me really. I can't think anything good will happen by nature. Maybe less bad. It's just that I hope all the bad things have come too an end. We've had so many lately and I reckon people need a perk up ― something to make it all bearable. A bit more bearable. At least something.


Fuck, I don't even know what I'd want. I know what I wouldn't want. But if some thing or being came up to me and said a wish of mine could be granted, I wouldn't have a clue in this world. Some would call it indecisive, some spoilt, some lazy... I just don't want to make plans for something that I have no control of. I’d probably go all miss-World and rant about world peace and health and no hunger and stuff.


Especially lately, when the world is changing so rapidly, can one notice how helpless we all are. And how we think we're running our own lives. Steady jobs, mortgages and bank loans. In our own vicious circles, forced to a life we don't really want and inhibited from those we'd prefer.


An invisible and untangible leash.


Pessimism sucks. It's so contra productive and it brings you down. Whatever you accomplish, a novelty just pops up. Something new to occupy your mind and make you lose sight of some (possibly) nice things that are happening around. It's so tiring. I despise it.


But it cannot be helped. Not unless you run away. And not even then, I think. It's hard for me to leave stuff behind. Not so much things, but thoughts. And people. And thoughts about people. Sometimes I wish there was a button that I could click which would just make me stop analyzing. My thoughts, my words, my deeds, my efforts, my opposites.


To be free of thoughts and worries; of tabs and lists; dates, cards and expiration dates. Of schedules, discomfort, annoyance, hopelessness and helplessness...


I’ve been there once. And I managed to forget about it all. But it all still came back.


That moment is way too precious to forget it though. So you cling to it and hope it will come back. Hope you’ll be able to get there once more. Maybe it’s not that close and maybe it’s not a place at all, but you cuddle the feeling and nourish it and water it and hope it will grow so big and cozy and powerful it will simply devour you.


I better go and finish my coffee now. I think the milk has gone bad. I'll really have to get used to the date.

6 comments:

  1. I can relate to this so much. "I don't even know what I want,..." That's exactly how I feel, the whole paragraph, the whole post actually. I am hoping for something good 2011, you are right, too much already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like it, Shopgirl.

    Hope some good stuff is already heading your way...

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely loved this post, makes sense :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you liked it, Anna.

    It was a mess in my head (as usual), but I'm glad it made some sense to other people too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the way you were open and just wrote everything you felt, in this post. Quite philosophical! Numbers and dates, they are are key in our lives, but really, are unimportant in the grand scheme of things. Thanks for visiting my blog, glad I payed a return visit - ill be back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Bth - thanks for dropping by!

    It usually happens that memories swell over reminding me of the way life works and making me aware of the things I dislike about the whole thing. That implies my posts usually being quite sudden, unorganized and direct - somewhat like me.

    But from time to time I get reminded - and sometimes others as well - that we need to take a break, a deep breath and a look around...

    I like what you said about numbers - nicely put...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...