Sunday, July 29, 2012

A bi' abou' Freo

Fremantle - or Freo, as everyone here calls it - is basically the port of Perth (I hope no one from Freo hears me, hehe). Being that Perth is separated from the Ocean by a winding river, Freo's always had the roll of the city's harbour.


It's a city more easy going and more relaxed than Perth, dotted with old but still well preserved colonial buildings, café strips and cosy little restaurants, which made it a really famous and popular gathering spot.


Nonetheless, it doesn't lack in historical and cultural background. It was one of the first populated areas, mainly because of the harbour, but also because there was (and still is) a prison to which the British sent their convicts.


It still has its roots in today's communication as well, so you'll often hear Brits refer to Aussies as cons, while poms works just fine when it goes the other way.


One thing about Freo is that it's filled with people. Well, I went there on a Saturday, so it must've been busier than usually, but yeah. We got a spot in one of A's favourite places, had lunch and a beer and a coffee and went back to Perth. There will be more time spent around there for sure.


Another thing that's quite noticeable is the amount of those damn hipsters. They're aaall arooound. And they're all the same. Maybe I'm too old or maybe I'm not tolerant enough, but I just don't get it.


I went to a store to get electricity converters and 90% of people in there were hipsters. Not I-wear-tight-jeans hipsters, but I-spend-like-five-hours-preparing-to-leave-my-house hipsters. They all look so cool and casual, while at the same time they're putting so much effort in it that it loses its point.


Dunno, that's my five cents.


All in all, Freo is definitely going to be one of the places I'll often go to (partly because A lives closer to there). I'm actually going there on Tuesday as well, since I'm meeting D, who's on a breeze by from Melbourne.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...